Thursday, March 8, 2012

Antique Sewing Box Planter





















Nothing says Springtime like a planter full of violet colored pansies! I came upon this sewing table at my local Good Will last winter and have been anxious for it to make a "Welcome Spring" statement on my front porch. I love the oval shape, drawers and decided that Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X in Gloss Sun Yellow - added those violet pansies and WOW - what a great splash of color! I wanted to also share the piece primed with Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X White Primer.

Project Materials
*Unique Planter
*Drop Cloth
*320 Grit Sandpaper
*Paint Thinner
*Clean Lint Free Cloth
*Planting Soil
*Potted Pansey Plant

Project Steps
*Lightly sand down planter
*Wipe off with Paint Thinner and Lint Free Cloth
*Allow to dry 30 minutes
*Apply Painter's Touch 2X Primer
*Allow to dry 30 minutes
*Apply First Coat of Painter's Touch in Gloss Sun Yellow
*Allow to dry 30 minutes
*Apply Second Coat within one hour or after 48 hours
*Allow to dry 48 hours and then fill with soil & plants, place pansey plant on top

6 comments:

  1. Looks great. I have one just like it. You may be confusing it with another piece of furniture, it could never hold a sewing machine and never did as it is too small and the drawers would have been in the way. I like the color and thought about painting my yellow also but I opted for a blue/green which looks great too. Thanks for the idea of what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sewing table...but not for a sewing machine. Think back when handiwork was done. There are all kinds/styles of sewing tables...and some very collectible!!! TO hold handiwork, thread, material, etc. Nice re-lifing project!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mistake, you are correct this is a sewing table. Sorry for the misunderstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I have one too! Was my grandmother's...she had two of them! I am painting today...yellow, maybe red, hmmmmmm? Thanks for great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know which color you decided to go with and feel free to post any before/after pics you might have on our PaintIdeas Facebook page (fb.com/paintideas).

      Delete
  5. It's a Martha Washington sewing table - was used to store sewing/needlework supplies

    ReplyDelete